Tuesday, June 10, 2014

D-Day 6 June 1944: The General Colonel Sanders Remembers


   
           The cliffs of Normandy, France June 6, 2014

         - He stood bareheaded and alone. Proud and erect, firm of jaw, resolute of will.
World leaders who assembled for the D-Day anniversary clamoured to pump the hand of the Expatdom's top fighting-man, General Colonel Harlan B. Sanders.
Modern-day soldiers also knelt at his feet, eager to hear the veteran war-horse's reminisces of that day, 70 year's ago, when the General stormed ashore here.

         - "It was me", the General began, "the first man ashore here at Normandy. And, I was the last!".
"Went in at, ohh, must've been about 0600 hours with the 101st Airborne. M' boys were pretty sick in that landing-craft, but not me, not after countless hours trainingback home in Lake Taihu.
So we got in there at Utah ok. Lit-up a Lucky Strike. Then I got a call to go over and help at Omaha.


"Pretty soon after, those Brits at Sword wanted me there too, so I waded on-in again. All t'gether, I stormed ashore, withdrew, then returned ashore, around 68 times on D-Day.  Our WCE Expats, our boys, fought like tigers. We wuz unstoppable. But I just had to get that franchise up and running. We were serving nuggets in St Mere Eglise by 1800 hours".

"Mind you, those Krauts didn't exactly make it a picnic fer us!", chortled the General Colonel, with his characteristic earthy growl. "I personally took out 17 pill-boxes in the first seven minutes. Came up against a hard-nosed bunch o' Krauts in a trench, so I tossed 'em some pineapples, and fries, and out they came, beggin' for my mercy".

"I think it would've been just after lunch when I captured those 22 German generals. Absolute cinch. Jus' barked th' ole 'hande hoch' at em, took their orders, and that was it".

"About a week later Ike pinned a clutch of medals on me. Monty pinned a few more on me a few days later.  All in all, it was a mighty-fine battle for me and th' Wuxer Expat Regiments", smiled the General Colonel. One gets the impression that this hard-bitten warrior has got another ten world wars left in him, yet to fight.
"I keep m' pecker up", nodded the General Colonel.

2 comments:

  1. If it wasn't for the efforts of Wuxi Expats on D-Day, Europe would still be Nazi today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you paying over $5 per pack of cigs? I buy high quality cigarettes over at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 50% on cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete