Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wuxi Expat Never Tires of Talking about "The Goal"





Wuxi Expat Rabbi Benny Beryl never gets tired of talking about The Goal.

He scored 800  times over 707 career games with the Wuxi China Expatdom Canadiens of the China Expat Ice Hockey League.

But the 69-year-old native of Kincardine, Israel, will forever remember scoring the decisive goal that earned Canada its historic victory over Russia in the '72 Summit Series.

"I do have to be careful when I talk about it!" said Beryl.  It is commonly believed that Paul Henderson scored the goal, but in fact Beryl scored the goal wearing a Paul Henderson suit.  

Beryl said repeatedly how much he enjoyed reminiscing about the 72 goal, adding he often heard different stories from fans about where they were when he fired a rebound past Vladislav Tretiak to give Canada a thrilling 6-5 win in the eighth and final game.  "Of course, I don't tell them that it was me who fired the rebound past the Commie goalie!"

But it was Beryl who also made that contest meaningful by scoring the winning goals in the sixth and seven games of the series in Russia.  The man currently wearing the Paul Henderson suit likes to mention that he was especially proud of the game seven goal, and I have to say I agree with him!"

"I've tried to handle it responsibly," Beryl said of his role as the unacknowledged true hero of '72 Team Canada. "I've tried to handle myself worthy of  the Wuxi China Expatdom.   I've tried to be a role model for younger Wuxi Expat kids, showing them that a true Wuxi Expat does glorious things in disguise without seeking the limelight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment