Friday, April 15, 2011

Andis Kaulins Grabs Pole-Position for WCE Grand Prix

Andis Kaulins has scorched around the world-famous Jiefang Road
circuit and will start from grid-position 1 in this Sunday's
annual electric-scooter race.

Organisers of the WCE's GP expect an estimated crowd of around
528,000 race-fans will jostle for vantage-points to watch the race.

A record 6,128 competitors have entered this year's race.

The race involves completing a gruelling 22 laps of the road-circuit.
Andis Kaulins set a new lap record-time of 1 hour 23.2 seconds in yesterday's
qualifying rounds.

Sitting nonchalantly astride his Dong-jiang Nuvolari Mark III, Andis told trackside
reporters that although he was pleased with his time, he believed he
could have gone even quicker. "I encountered an errant wildebeest, grazing contentedly down at the Gongyun chicane. I had to take sudden evasive action to
avoid hitting it - it isn't a good idea to tango at high-speed with large animals
on this course"
, he said.

In an exclusive-interview with Orient Express, Andis said that he had
heavily-modified his scooter for this year's event. "I've fitted 14 lead acid batteries, 540 volts, and it's now producing a power-rating somewhere in the region
of 3000 watts." "And I've lowered the ground-clearance to a mere 14mm. I usually
over-inflate my tyres too, up to about 648kpa."


"As for myself, I rely upon my nerves of steel. I took last year's winner's laurels, of course, despite crashing-heavily 23 times. The physical-attrition in this race
is a huge challenge - my hands become numb after about five laps. I counter that
by removing my gloves, and then shake them to the left, shake them to the right, and shake them all about",
he said.

Andis said that he expected his main rival this year will be Smacker Fitzgibbon,
the drag-queen ace from the Xi-an Expatdom. "But he, she, whatever, doesn't worry me at all. I have more up my sleeve than my arm, y'know", Andis said, with a sly wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment