Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wuxi Expat born in the year of the Dragon resents having to wear red in the Chinese New Year

Nigel Blair, a Wuxi Expat born in 1964, doesn't like the fact that he has to wear red in the upcoming Chinese New Year.  

Blair was told of the fact by his wife who is a local girl.  "It is the tradition, I have been told, for everyone to wear red during their animal year of birth.  So being a Dragon, I got to wear red after January 22nd!"

Asked why he saw this as some sort of imposition, Blair told the WCE Blog that he hated to wear clothes, was a member in good standing of the Wuxi Naturist Party, and that Groucho Marx was right in seeing clothes-wearing as a sort of bourgeois conceit.

Asked if he could adopt some wearing-of-red strategies that could still see him au naturel while still wearing red (红色), Blair said that his wife "wasn't going to go for it!"  Added Blair: "I asked her if I could wear a red hat, tie red strings around my body parts, wear red bows in my hair or have the tattoo artist make my Harry Moore Dragon tattoo more reddish but my wife is insistent!  She says she would lose face with her relatives if I didn't wear red pants and shirts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment