Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wuxi China Expat says he is an oenophile, not an alcoholic.

Ole Olie, Wuxi China Expat and the drinking champion of the Chestnut Pub in downtown Wuxi, resents talk that he is an alcoholic.
 
Says Olie:  "This talk of Olie the Olcoholic is a blood libel on my character if you ask me!  Or to be more precise, it is a blood alcohol level libel.  I am an oenophile!  If you don't know what that is, you can look it up in the dictionary or ask the great prose writer Harry Moore for the definition.  So really, you can call me the Oele the Oenophile, or Oele Oelie the Oenophile and stop insulting my character!  I have dying relatives, don't you know!"
 
Olie, when not practicing his oenophilism at the Chestnut Pub, is an English teacher at English Fungus Language School in Wuxi, China.

2 comments:

  1. Harry Moore - "the great prose writer"?

    Nahh!! His Poolside book isn't a patch on that
    great windmill classic - "Donaldo Quicks-Oats
    And His Friend, Poncho Stanza".

    - "oenophile".....hmm, would that have something to do with 'oenomatipia'????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh.

    Captain Bligh: "Are you an oenophile, Mr Christian, you mutinuous dog!?

    Fletcher Christian: "Well, I do whine a lot".

    Bligh: "Pass the cheese!".

    ReplyDelete